(James Meikle, "A Secret Survey into the
State of the Soul" January 2, 1794)
I am taught some noble lessons:
1. To expect no solid or lasting happiness
in anything but in God.
2. To see how much we may be mistaken
in our opinion of men and things.
3. To expect nothing but disappointment and pain in
the world--and so to be prepared for misfortunes.
4. To build upon no present state of things; for a storm
of troubles may gather from any place, and at any time.
5. In all things to rejoice in being forever with
God, who will eternally wipe all tears from our
eyes, and sorrow from our hearts!