Angell James, "An
Address to the Children" 1855)
Take the following maxims for your guide:
1. True piety will be your best friend--for both worlds!
2. The eye of God is always upon you, and
He is present when no one else is near!
3. Godliness is the best of all things, for it makes
bitter things sweet--and sweet things sweeter!
4. What a boy would be as a man, let him seek to be
that while a boy. The boy is the father of the man!
5. Sin is deceitful as well as wicked, leading you to
commit great sins by first tempting you to little ones;
and leading you into habits of sin by asking for only
one sin at a time. "Only this once!" is Satan's way
of beguiling you into a course of sin. What ought
not to be done at all--should not be done once!
6. Avoid the first wrong step!
7. There are three things, which if lost, can never
be recovered--time, opportunity, and the soul!
8. A holy and useful life is more to be desired
than a long or a prosperous one!
9. To live wholly for ourselves is a poor, base,
10. "When all has been heard, the conclusion of the
matter is: fear God and keep His commands. For God
will bring every act to judgment, including every hidden
thing, whether good or evil." (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14)