Christ's sympathy He is the infinite, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, gracious, just, holy, and unchangeable I AM! The last day of the year This is the last evening of the year! Mary might well complain of Martha! The carrion which professors can now feed upon! The funeral of all your sorrows! Grace Gems for MAY 2007 The presence of a loving God! Orthodox in creed--but heterodox in life! My politics! Three golden balls! Spoiled children! He was infinitely happy and glorious without us! Yes, He is altogether lovely! A far-off Hell is the dread of no man! A Bag, a Book, and a Bottle! The Infinite has become an infant! Short pithy quotes from the Puritan Thomas Brooks! Grace Gems for MAY 2007 The presence of a loving God! The hen which does not sit on her eggs! The bags will come to an end, long before the treasure is exhausted! Who cares for pebbles--when jewels glitter before him? A golden master-key!
Today's Puritan AUDIO Devotional:
Section 21. Luke 4:1-13, "Christ's Temptation in the Wilderness"
by J.C. Ryle, LISTEN to audio! READ text Download audio
You will find it helpful to READ the text--as you listen to the audio!
~ ~ ~ ~
The greatness of the sin of gluttony!
(Richard Baxter, "Directions against Gluttony")
1. Gluttony is a sin exceedingly contrary to the love of God--it is idolatry!
What an odious, swinish, damning sin it is--for a man's heart to be set upon his belly!
2. Gluttony is self-murder! Though it does not kill suddenly--it kills surely!
3. Gluttony is a deadly enemy to the mind, and to all the noble employments of reason.
4. Gluttony dulls the body as well as the mind. It makes men heavy, and drowsy and slothful.
5. Gluttony is the immediate effect of a carnal mind, and of the damnable sin of flesh-pleasing.
6. Gluttony is the breeder and feeder of all other lusts.
7. Gluttony is a base and beastly kind of sin.
8. Gluttony is a wasteful consumer and devourer of the creatures of God.
9. Gluttony is a most unthankful sin--it takes God's mercies, and spews them as it were in His face!
10. Gluttony is a sin which turns your own mercies, and wealth, and food--into your snare and deadly ruin. You please your throat--and poison your soul!
11. Gluttony is a thief that robs you of your estates, and devours that which is given you for better uses, and for which you must give account to God.
12. Gluttony is a sin so much the greater--by how much the more delight you have in the committing of it. The sweetest, most voluntary and beloved sin--is the greatest sin. Few sins are more pleasant and beloved than gluttony.
13. Gluttony is the greater sin, because it is so frequently committed. Men live in it as their daily practice and delight. They live for it, and make it the end of other sins. Being turned into beasts--they live like beasts continually!
~ ~ ~ ~
We have just published Richard Baxter's powerful and helpful article, "Directions against Gluttony".