Today's Puritan Audio Devotional:
You have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do!
(Hiram Mattison, "The Evils of Theater-going" 1867)
"You have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do — living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, revelings, banquetings, and detestable idolatry. They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you!" 1 Peter 4:3-4
1. That Christians were not to live as formerly, and like other men — in folly and dissipation.
2. That "revelings" and "banquetings" are specified, which covers all balls, parties, and masquerades, at least.
3. That the early Christians had ceased to run with those who walked in these follies.
4. That the ungodly thought this very "strange" and over-rigid.
5. That the ungodly spoke evil of Christians, on account of their peculiar abstinence and self-denial.
And today the same holy course meets the same unholy treatment, even at the hands of some who profess religion, and ought to be found wholly upon the Lord's side.
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!" Romans 12:2
"The spirit of the world is eating out the very heart and life of true godliness!" (George Everard)